Fearless in Faith

**Correction today 9/30/2012 I re-listened to my pastor’s sermon from last week, the word was ‘worry’ not ‘fear’  as I said in this post, so I wanted to correct that.. Though I still keep my same feelings I wrote here I feel I should correct this since I quoted him wrong.

Fearless in Faith

Sunday my pastor said in his sermon that anything that replaces faith is sin, therefore fear is sin.  I have thought about that all week and I know he is right.

How many times have I been scared and held onto fear and felt better?  NEVER.

How many times have I put my faith in God and felt better?  EVERY single time.

Before I knew God I was afraid all the time, I was afraid to fly, I was afraid of people but yet afraid to be alone, I had social anxiety, was afraid of being sick, afraid of the doctor, I was afraid to take medicine for fear of the side effects, I was afraid of heights, and had claustrophobia, the list goes on and on and on and on…

The social anxiety part was the worst and I almost let it take over my life.  I would make up excuses saying I had things to do so I could skip meetings at work.  If I managed to stay in a meeting I was miserable the whole time I was there.  I also avoided fun things like baby showers, weddings and parties. I only went to the ones I could not get out of.  I never told my family or friends about my ‘problem’ and many probably just thought I was a snob.

Since I gave my life to Jesus I have been learning to give my fears to him.  I have never been sick much during my life and have not ever went to the doctor a whole lot.   The last two and a half years I have had a lot of illnesses. I know in looking back there is no way on earth I would have ever made it through those without giving my fear to God.

Without giving a lot of detail I will just say my illnesses have included a heart issue, a liver issue, knee surgery, hysterectomy & an eye issue.  Treatments and tests included drinking scary stuff and going into in scary medical devices.  I have had tons of new medications and injections put in my eye.  I am not complaining at all, the coolest thing is I made it through all those things with a whole lot of peace, HIS peace.  I am not saying I was never scared believe me some of the things gave me panic attacks.  I did discover though that worry did nothing at all to help me at all.  When I gave it all to Him I was free and full of peace.  Another cool thing is I also came out stronger and found many blessings along the way.

I also feel as if I am getting over my social anxiety also.  I spoke in front of my church for the children of Compassion. I could not tell you this day what came out of my mouth or if it sounded good or bad.  I know God did the speaking that day.   All that really matters is God was in control and kids were sponsored.

I have led a Bible study even though I used to be afraid to just sit in the room and attend a study. Yet again God had it under control

I drove to the top of Pikes Peak and looked down at the magnificent view.

Did I mention that I am scared to fly?  Well now I am actually enjoying flying.  I notice the blessings when I fly now instead of hiding my face and guzzling down wine.  I now look out the window.  Have you ever seen clouds from above them?  The sun still shines up there on a cloudy day.   How would I know had I not looked out of the plane?

How many blessings did I use to miss while I was being afraid?  Every time I gave a fear to God He not only gave me peace He also gave me an unexpected blessing.

I am not saying I am fearless or will never be afraid again.  But I do know now who to give that fear to and when I give it to Him I do feel quite fearless.

I do know that bad things still happen but we have to have faith.  Have the faith he will get us through them and he has a really good plan, we just can’t see it yet.  God never said he would not give us more than we can handle, but he did say he will get us through it.

Philippians 4:6-7  Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

11 thoughts on “Fearless in Faith

1. accord1 says:

We all need to calm down and take a step back, take a selah moment. Let’s keep our focus; consider Romans 8:28 All things work together for the good for those that love God and who are call according to His purpose.

2. Freedomborn says:

Hi T, thank you for sharing, it is True that fear shows we are worrying and not Trusting in God for what ever reason but it is not sin unless it causes us to sin, such as we fear we won’t have enough money so we steal or we fear we fear we will fail our exams so we cheat or we lie to cover over something we have done wrong because we fear being punished, sin is the transgression of the law.

As you can see below perfect Love casts out fear, the Scripture you shared T is God reassuring us once again that we don’t need to fear or worry, He has set us free so there is no fear of punishment. God has also told us we will not be tempted more than we can handle (see below) Jesus is our way out.

1 John 4:17-19 Herein is our Love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as He is, so are we in this world. There is no fear in Love; but perfect Love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in Love. We Love Him, because He first Loved us.

1 Corinthians 10:13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

Christian Love from both of us – Anne

• Freedomborn says:

Also T when we are perfected in Love we do not sin as you can see below, it is because we have put our flesh to death which causes us to sin and as we have the mind of Christ so we don’t choose to sin, we are indeed Born again and have God’s nature or seed and so do not fear.

1 John 3:9 No one who is Born of God will continue to sin, because God’s seed remains in him; he cannot go on sinning, because he has been Born of God.

Christian Love Anne.

• T says:

Hi Anne, I agree with you, His perfect love casts out fear, that something I have been learning very slowly, I am a little bull headed at times I have to admit. I also do not think fear is sin unless we go around carrying that fear all the time and not putting our faith and trust in God that he has it under control and stepping out in faith. He wants us to turn to him and put all of our faith in him. If we were fearless in ourselves we would not be fearless in Him if that makes sense. By the way I loved all the scripture you sent me by email that for some reason wordpress did not let go through so I copied and am adding it to this comment…
      So to anyone reading this scripture below is what was supposed to be in Anne’s first comment.
      1 John 5:18-20 We know that no one who is Born of God sins; but He who was Born of God keeps him, and the evil one does not touch him. We know that we are of God, and that the whole world lies in the power of the evil one. And we know that the Son of God has come, and has given us understanding so that we may know Him who is true; and we are in Him who is true, in His Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God and eternal life.

2 Timothy 2:19-21 Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are His. And, let every one that nameth the Name of Christ depart from iniquity

Romans 2:7-9 To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life: But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the Truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath, Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile;
      Romans 6:5-7 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of His death, we shall be also in the likeness of His resurrection: Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin. For he that is dead is freed from sin.

John 15:9-11 As the Father hath Loved me, so have I Loved you: continue ye in my Love. If ye keep my Commandments, ye shall abide in my Love; even as I have kept my Father’s Commandments, and abide in His Love.

Matthew 5: 48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in Heaven is perfect.

Thank you so much for reading my blog Anne and also for your thoughts, God bless you 🙂

3. Freedomborn says:

Hi T, I received your reply to my e-mails, Thank you but I have decided to respond to you here in regard to WordPress but first let me reassure you about fear.

Worry is not a sin, it is an emotion, that comes from fear of something or someone and this produces lack of Trust in that person, God reassures us, He does not condemn us for it, He knows that until we are perfected in Love we will worry and have fear, this is why we must put our flesh to death.

1 John 2:28-29 And now, little children, abide in Him; that, when He shall appear, we may have confidence, and not be ashamed before Him at His coming. If ye know that He is righteous, ye know that every one that doeth righteousness is Born of Him.

Galations 24 -26 And they that are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts. if we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.

If we think someone is going to hurt us T no matter how much we sugar coat it even saying it is for our own good, in our heart we will have fear and lack of Trust in that Person. God can be Trusted, His plans for us are good not evil, He does not force us to Love and Trust Him but He shows us He can be Trusted so we can fully Love Him and having asked and received His Love, we ask for His wisdom and then we know Him as a Loving God who only seeks for our good and then we can receive His greater blessings because we will recognise them and ask for them and not just the worldly ones, such as food and clothes or the sun and rain when needed.

Christian Love Anne.

• T says:

Hi Anne, Like I said in my comment…”.I also do not think fear is sin unless we go around carrying that fear all the time and not putting our faith and trust in God that he has it under control and stepping out in faith. He wants us to turn to him and put all of our faith in him. If we were fearless in ourselves we would not be fearless in Him”
      I never meant it was a sin to be afraid of something or someone who is going to harm us I was talking about fear of things that keep us from doing the things we should do in life and the things that God calls us to do. But as I also said in my post bad things still will happen to us but we have to have the faith he will get us through them and he has a really good plan, we just can’t see His plan yet. God never said he would not give us more than we can handle, but he did say he will get us through it.

Isaiah 43:1-4
      But now, this is what the Lord says—he who created you, Jacob, he who formed you, Israel:“Do not fear, for I have redeemed you;I have summoned you by name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters,I will be with you;and when you pass through the rivers,they will not sweep over you.When you walk through the fire,you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze.

Matthew 6:31-34
      31 So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

2 Timothy 1:7
      For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline

Deuteronomy 31:6
      Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.”

Deuteronomy 31:8
      The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.”

Joshua 10:25
      Joshua said to them, “Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged. Be strong and courageous. This is what the Lord will do to all the enemies you are going to fight.”

Hebrews 13:6 So we say with confidence,“The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can mere mortals do to me?

and last but not least the John 4:18 as you mentioned above….There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.

I believe Satan is the one who gives us fear, Fear is not from God, God did not give us fear he gave us his perfect love which I will chose over fear.

Thanks again for Commenting and reading I sure hope you get your hacker problem solved.
      God bless you Anne

• T says:

I almost forgot my favorite Psalm 18:1-2
        I love you, O Lord, my stregth. The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer;my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge,my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold..:D

4. Freedomborn says:

As promised T, let me also reassure you it is not WordPress as an Organisation who is deleting my comments on your Blog, although I was encouraged to think so at first too.

WordPress have the best Blogging platform but like them all they are not 100% safe from Hackers, none are because they can use our own Computers to hack into ours and other peoples Blogs.

When I first started Blogging, other Bloggers who disagreed with me use to delete my comments, some still do but without giving Scriptural confirmation for doing so only trusting in their own understanding or what they have been taught in error, some also ignore my comments, agreeing to disagree and not reasoning together with God as He asks us to do and this is not about arguing .

You can also be assured T, I do not share anything that I cannot confirm with Scripture and more then once and as you know the Old Testament confirms the New Testament and vice versa, so I use both, I asked for God’s wisdom and I received it and I do not doubt that what He tells me is True.

Blog Post – http://alifeofhopeandjoy.wordpress.com/2011/11/16/the-gaining-of-wisdom/

It seems the people who are hacking me no doubt believe they are doing God’s will but He does not victimise us or deliberately cause us grief and worry, they will be answerable for their sinful actions towards God and me unless they repent and seek to do good, they then can receive both God’s and my forgiveness, I do not hold resentment, I too was once deceived and insecure believing Satan’s lies and man’s fleshy, wordly understanding.

Christian Love Anne.

5. Freedomborn says:

Hi again T, sadly it is not just me who has problems with sharing God’s Truth on Blogs and elsewhere, Jesus warned us we would be persecuted and yes it does cause us to feel intense emotion as does all victimisation whether from hackers or others who reject God’s Truth and we do need to seek God to resolve our fears and not worry about our circumstances, believing He will bring good from them but He never condemns us for our weaknesses and shortcomings as all the Scripture you shared confirms, He seeks to reassure us regardless of what is causing us to fear and worry, just as you would do with your own Children, but He does tell us we will not be tempted beyond our strength to remain firm in Christ Jesus.

Satan temps us to reject Jesus Christ blaming Him for all our problems but God by His foreknowledge of our hearts repentance will conform us into the image of Jesus perfecting us in Love as we seek Him with all our heart and being, willingly submitting to His Authority in our lives and obeying Him, then as young children do their Parents, we will depend and Trust in Him with all our heart, praising Him for His goodness not blaming Him for evil.

Many find it hard to gel Scripture that talks about God keeping us safe , when Paul and the other early Christians and all through the ages those who believed in God still suffered and had hardship and even now it is the same and some are being Martyred and tortured but God is talking about the wonderful True reality that He protects our Soul so regardless of what we go through in life, He brings restoration, so we don’t die Spiritually and gives us strength and great inner Joy regardless of what we encounter.

Psalm 97:9-11 For thou, Lord, art high above all the earth: thou art exalted far above all gods. Ye that Love the Lord, hate evil: He preserveth the souls of His Saints; He delivereth them out of the hand of the wicked. Light is sown for the righteous, and gladness for the upright in heart.

Psalm 107: 8 – 9 Oh that men would Praise the Lord for His goodness, and for His wonderful works to the children of men! For He satisfieth the longing soul, and filleth the hungry soul with goodness.

Christian Love Anne.

• T says:

I liked this …He protects our Soul so regardless of what we go through in life, He brings restoration, so we don’t die Spiritually and gives us strength and great inner Joy regardless of what we encounter. Well Said Anne 🙂

What are your thoughts? I'd love to hear them!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w