Today is an exciting day! Today on this blog we are going to be a part of something big and brand new that has never been tried before. Today Compassion International along with it’s family of friends, sponsors, and bloggers from all over the world are coming together to help fund and launch a brand a new Child Survival program to help moms and babies in Gujarat, India! Did I mention… the plan is to do it….ALL IN ONE DAY?! Today is ‘Giving Tuesday’ and I am inviting YOU to be part of it. Why are we doing this? Because these are the facts….
- In the small community of Gujarat most of the mothers are just teenagers.
- Over 70 percent of the babies born here are born in their homes.
- Most are surrounded by, illiteracy, alcoholism, abuse, child labor, and child marriage,
- They are malnourished.
- 1 in 3 newborn deaths in the world occur in India.
- Every year over 2 million children under the age of 5 dies in India, and half of those 2 million children die before their 1st birthday.
I am saddened when I read those facts. It is just so hard to believe that children are living in those conditions and that they are dying from preventable and treatable causes. Children under the age of 5 should not be dying from things such as dehydration and malnutrition and today we are going to help change this! Because WE can change this! Funding this new child survival program will:
- help prepare moms with training to help them care for their babies.
- help mothers learn to read and write.
- help by giving children a safe place to learn and grow.
- help by ensuring lifesaving medical care for babies and their moms.
- and most of all proclaim the hope of Jesus to families living in poverty.
In March of 2013 I visited a small village in Haiti which has a Compassion child survival program in place and it was working very well. I saw moms and babies who where healthy, thriving in their community and most of all I saw whole families who were filled with the joy and the knowledge that they are loved by others and most of all loved by Jesus. Child Survival programs help to save lives and they help to give hope. They work. Today I am asking you to join us as we band together to help the moms and babies of Gujarat to have a fighting chance by helping to fund this new Child survival program. Will you help rescue babies in poverty in India? Your first step could be their first step…. Click any picture in this blog post and it will take you to more information about how you can help rescue moms and babies. You can also help the moms and babies of Gujarat by sharing this post today or any other link in this post with your friends. I also ask if you would please pray today for this program and all of the lives it will affect. Thank you so much for your help,
Have a blessed Tuesday,
Here is a video I took of the moms and babies singing to us while visiting a Compassion Child Survival Program In Haiti.