Sometimes all you can do is Praise the Lord

I have had something deep on my mind for the past several weeks.

Over the past few days it has really came down to me having to make a decision and that decision was hinging on me deciding and knowing without a doubt what it was that God wanted me to do.

I have prayed about it and prayed about it but things seemed really complicated.  I thought I knew without a doubt what God wanted me to do at the beginning of all this, but after a while things were not matching up and nothing seemed to be making any sense.  I kept praying about it but I finally became frustrated because I just wanted God to just lay it all out nice and clear for me, but that did not seem to be happening.

As many of you know I am a church secretary. A lot of the time when I am working nobody is at the church except for me.  So after I finished my work yesterday I decided to sit in the quiet of the sanctuary for a little while and pray.

As I was praying I was feeling frustrated about all the stuff whirling in my head so I said out loud, “God please tell me what is it you want me to do?!” As the words left my mouth, suddenly my eyes caught on a banner that is hanging on the wall in the front of the room….20150717_094052 (1)

Praise the Lord…. I went back to my praying… suddenly I saw the banner again… Praise the Lord!

Suddenly the thought occurred to me…. Praise the Lord? Really? Lord is that what you want me to do? Praise you?

No answer… just the banner again with the words now stuck in my head … Praise the Lord!

Praise the Lord

Praise the Lord

So I did.  I started with praising him for allowing me to have this quiet place to sit in… I looked around and realized how thankful I am for my church and I began praising the Lord for how wonderfully he planted me in this place that has been perfect for me to grow and learn about him.  As I praised him for my church I praised him for my job or I would not even have been sitting here in that sanctuary in the first place.

Praise the Lord…

I praised the Lord for his awesomeness in thinking of life, we have kids, grand kids and friends; and not only does he love us but he gave us people who love us and who we can love back… wow! Praise the Lord for his love.

The list kept growing…I can see, I can taste, I can hear, I can smell!  How amazing is that when you really think about it? How many different smells, sounds, flavors, and sights are there in the world??  Praise the Lord for Nature, praise him for sunrises, sunsets, wind, rain, flowers, and birds.

Praise the Lord I can sit, I can stand, I can walk, I can breathe…. God is so good!

As I praised him and I suddenly realized a person could never ever run out of stuff to praise the Lord about … Seriously how awesome is that?! How awesome is He?!

The rest of the day it did not matter what I did,  the words ‘praise the Lord‘ where etched in my mind.  By the end of the day as I was going to bed… I praised the Lord for blessing me with a bed, a pillow, a cold drink of water.  When I had trouble sleeping I was praising him for my husband snoring really LOUD beside me 🙂  I never really thought of that snoring as something to praise God about but man am I soooooo thankful that man sleeps beside me every night

When I woke up this morning once again the ‘what do you want me to do about this complicated stuff?’ question came back to my mind.

And when I arrived at work I went to work in the sanctuary once again.  As  I opened the sanctuary doors there was that banner….20150717_094052 (1)Praise the Lord…. “Seriously God, is that really all you can tell me of what you want me to do?”  I knew the answer.

So I Praised the Lord. As the day went on I praised him about the Good stuff and I even praised him when there was a lot of not so good stuff.

I still did not have an answer to my dilemma but late this afternoon.  After praising the Lord most of the day the thought dawned on me, God has blessed me with so so much, maybe instead of stressing about what he is planning for my life I should just be praising him for all that he does in my life and just let him take care of the the planning?

Oddly shortly after I realized that everything I had been worrying about for weeks suddenly all just came right together as peace washed over me.  I can’t explain it but I will take it.

God just amazes me all the time!

Praise the Lord!

I will praise you, Lord my God, with all my heart;
I will glorify your name forever. ~ Psalm 86:12

20 thoughts on “Sometimes all you can do is Praise the Lord

• Terri says:

James, I think its wonderful how you see the poetry in words. Blessings to you also! and also I got my copy of Donkey Tells in the mail, Thank you so much for sending it! 🙂

Liked by 1 person

1. writerwannabe763 says:

It’s coincidental but yesterday I felt the same thing and I was thanking God and praising Him for all that I could think of at the time… There indeed is so much more!… I’m glad that you feel a peace about what you were concerned about… Diane

Liked by 1 person

• Terri says:

I am so thankful there is so much more! thank you so much for sharing about your day and I am so glad you were praising Him too 🙂 Thanks so much!

2. Freedomborn ... Aussie Christian Focus says:

Thank you T, Wow it’s amazing, we do indeed walk the same road, I have just recently had a very upsetting and hurtful experience and I’m once again having comment problems too. Some Blogging friends are telling me they don’t receive notification I have commented and it seems this is the same with you, so I posted my last comment again but it does have a link, also if I add Scripture it’s moderated on some Blogs when they don’t moderate, so yes I have had one of those weeks x2 but like you as I was walking up my hall a Scripture I have on my winter coat closest jumped out at me, it says…. From the rising of the Sun unto the going down of the same the Lord’s Name is to be Praised (Psalm113:3) but the whole Psalm speaks to my heart especially the last verse and so now I will thank Him and Praise Him for all His blessings including my Home and Funday School, which brings both Joy and sadness but much more Joy and it’s great to know we will be Praising Him together. ( See Song below)

Christian Love – Anne.

Liked by 1 person

• Terri says:

I am so sorry you had a such an upsetting experience and that you are having blog trouble but am so glad that you are praising God anyway! The scripture you shared is such a great one and highlighted in my Bible and it’s one of my favorites. Keep praising Him my friend God is so much bigger than all of our earthly problems, there is so much to be thankful for 🙂
      Also love the words from the video you shared below, thanks for sharing it too! Praising with you!

3. Beverley says:

As usual Terri you got me. At times when I am feeling low, I just go on your blog and presto. There is always a post to pick me up.. And this is one of them reminding me no matter how bad things are I need to praise the lord…I like the part about your husband snoring. That made me laugh…:). You are right though… As some people don’t have a husband… Your posts are very real, feels like I know you…
    I am so pleased about your eyesight by the way…I was-following that journey but due to events in my life I kinda lagged behind. Terri I agree with you, lovely post as usual..I too will be praising him more…God bless.

What are your thoughts? I'd love to hear them!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w